- Both the Metropolitan Police and a survey of ex-burglars agree that having a well maintained alarm system reduces the likelihood that you will be a victim of burglary. Burglars do not want to be seen or heard so a property that does not have an alarm will always be the more attractive choice to would-be thieves. If an alarmed property is targeted then an activated alarm can reduce the time that thieves will spend in your home.
- In the past many of my customers have commented that alarms are often ignored by neighbours and therefore not a deterrent at all. New systems remove the need to rely upon neighbours to notice and act upon your alarm as they contact you or nominated family members or friends directly once the alarm is activated. This then gives you or a nominated person an opportunity to establish the cause of the alarm or to phone the police immediately.
- It is also very easy to link a CCTV system to your mobile phone so if an alarm is activated you can view your property immediately to establish the cause of the alarm and take appropriate action.
- Smart alarm systems enable you to activate and deactivate your alarm remotely from anywhere in the world. This is an extremely useful feature particularly if you need to allow access to your property when you are not present. I recently installed this system at a property that was being used as an Airbnb rental property and other customers have requested this system to allow access to their cleaners or dog walkers.
- A smart alarm system also gives you the opportunity to view, via your mobile phone when others have activated or deactivated the system. Some customers have commented that this feature gives them added peace of mind and reassurance as they are able to see when their teenage children have returned home safely from school for example. It can also be a useful feature if you have a particularly forgetful member of the household that may forget to set the alarm – I am speaking from my own experience here!
Working in the security industry, I always notice the properties that do not have a burglar alarm system or those that have a poorly maintained one which has prompted me to write this blog post. I personally feel that a current and well maintained intruder alarm system is a massive deterrent to would be thieves and I would encourage anyone considering installing one to do so – here’s why:
Christmas is a happy and exciting time for many of us but we mustn’t forget that this time of year can also be a busy and exciting time for thieves! Below I have listed ten tips to help you keep you and your home secure this Christmas:
Our experienced MK locksmiths at Errington Locksmiths are happy to offer free, impartial advice on all aspects of your security all year round so please contact us with any of your concerns or call to book your FREE security survey: 01908 632651
We offer a full range of locksmith services in MK and the surrounding area. Feel free to get in touch to address any of your security concerns.
They say first impressions count and your front door is the first thing that each visitor to your home sees. It is also there to welcome you home, each and every time you return to your house. What impression do you think your front door creates? Does it look a little tired and in need of some TLC? Perhaps it doesn't quite fit with the recent home improvements you have made. A simple solution may be a lick of paint and/or a door furniture upgrade and our friendly, knowledgeable and skilled MK locksmiths at Errington Locksmiths will be very happy to discuss this option with you.
There can also however be many benefits to replacing your old door with a new one:
Safety: Older doors can often be victims of wear and tear which means that locks and hinges may be easier to break open. Nearly 70% of burglaries involve forced entry through a front or back door so it is important to make sure that these doors are as secure as they can possibly be. Doors supplied and fitted by Errington Locksmiths have many more security features than older style doors tend to have including nickel coated, solid brass hook locks that slide into steel keeps, running the length of the door’s frame. The double glazing in our new doors also tends to be part of the door itself meaning it can’t be unclipped.
Energy Efficiency: All new doors supplied and fitted by our skilled MK locksmiths come with an energy efficiency rating and are much more energy efficient than older style doors. This means far less heat will be lost through a new door compared with an older door. This can help to reduce energy costs and ensure that your home feels warm and cosy during the winter months.
Kerb Appeal: An attractive new door can drastically improve the look of your home from both the inside and the outside. In fact, this simple upgrade could increase the value of your home. Doors supplied and fitted by MK based Errington Locksmiths come in a variety of designs, styles and colours so you can choose the perfect match for your home and family.
Our locksmiths can fit a new door within a day with the minimum of fuss so if you are looking to upgrade your door furniture, your door security or if you are considering replacing your front door altogether, please contact us at Errington Locksmiths to discuss your requirements.
We also offer an extensive range of locksmith services in Milton Keynes and the surrounding area including a 24HR emergency service in MK.
With the onset of the darker evenings, I am often asked for advice on the best way to secure a home. When considering this question, it can be useful to consider the different elements of the home:
One of the first things to do could be to check your garden boundary and look for any weaknesses, such as broken fences. If you are particularly green fingered, you may wish to consider "defensive planting," your local garden centre should be able to give you some good advice regarding the types of plants that can be planted for this purpose. People often ask me about the effectiveness of barbed wire or carpet gripper as a deterrent to intruders. I NEVER recommend the use of these kinds of materials as there are legal implications and there are more effective alternatives available.
Check garden gates too. Make sure they are fitted with either a hasp and staple or rim lock. It is possible to have all locks at your property keyed alike so you don't need to worry about carrying extra keys.
Sheds and garages can be easy targets for thieves. Sheds should be locked with a closed-shackle padlock and security screws should be fitted on hinges. Your garage security can be upgraded in a number of ways:
Doors and Windows:
Make sure that all doors and frames are strong and in good condition. Wooden doors should be fitted with a mortice deadlock or nightlatch that meets BS3621. uPVC doors should have at least three locking points with hook or deadbolts and be fitted with an anti snap TS007 euro profile cylinder with a minimum one star rating. Sliding patio doors should be fitted with an anti-lift device and additional locking bolts. French doors should be fitted with locking bolts on the fixed leaf.
All ground floor and accessible windows should be fitted with key lockable window locks or handles.
Lighting can also help to secure your home. Consider internal timer switches for lamps when you are away from your property for an extended period of time and protect vulnerable external parts of the property with motion activated security lights.
A good quality alarm system can be an invaluable addition to your home security. An external sign written bell box is a visible deterrent and many modern alarm systems are wireless which means they are less intrusive when installing and can be easily extended to outbuildings such as sheds and garages. An intruder alarm system can also be programmed to notify you via your mobile phone upon activation.
Errington Locksmiths based in Milton Keynes have over 18 years experience in the security industry and our friendly, efficient, uniformed, police checked MK locksmiths would be happy to discuss all the available options with you. We offer a FREE security survey so if you would like to check how secure your home is please contact us.
We also offer a 24HR emergency service in Milton Keynes and the surrounding areas.
For many households the garage is used to store a variety of items. I have recently had a bit of a "sort out" in my own garage, during which I was reminded just how valuable some of the items in my garage were. Paddling pools and sledges aside, garages are often used to store bikes and tools, both of which are attractive items to would be thieves.
Some garage doors, particularly the up and over type have proven to be very insecure and relatively easy to force open by criminals. Sometimes would be thieves only have to apply bodily pressure to force the door open, at other times they may use a small bar or similar implement to prise open the locking point. It is therefore advisable to fit additional security to these doors but what are the options?
Milton Keynes based Errington Locksmiths have over 18 years experience in the security industry and our friendly, efficient, uniformed, police checked MK locksmiths would be happy to discuss all the available options with you. We offer a FREE security survey so if you would like to check how secure your garage is please contact us.