- Both the Metropolitan Police and a survey of ex-burglars agree that having a well maintained alarm system reduces the likelihood that you will be a victim of burglary. Burglars do not want to be seen or heard so a property that does not have an alarm will always be the more attractive choice to would-be thieves. If an alarmed property is targeted then an activated alarm can reduce the time that thieves will spend in your home.
- In the past many of my customers have commented that alarms are often ignored by neighbours and therefore not a deterrent at all. New systems remove the need to rely upon neighbours to notice and act upon your alarm as they contact you or nominated family members or friends directly once the alarm is activated. This then gives you or a nominated person an opportunity to establish the cause of the alarm or to phone the police immediately.
- It is also very easy to link a CCTV system to your mobile phone so if an alarm is activated you can view your property immediately to establish the cause of the alarm and take appropriate action.
- Smart alarm systems enable you to activate and deactivate your alarm remotely from anywhere in the world. This is an extremely useful feature particularly if you need to allow access to your property when you are not present. I recently installed this system at a property that was being used as an Airbnb rental property and other customers have requested this system to allow access to their cleaners or dog walkers.
- A smart alarm system also gives you the opportunity to view, via your mobile phone when others have activated or deactivated the system. Some customers have commented that this feature gives them added peace of mind and reassurance as they are able to see when their teenage children have returned home safely from school for example. It can also be a useful feature if you have a particularly forgetful member of the household that may forget to set the alarm – I am speaking from my own experience here!
Working in the security industry, I always notice the properties that do not have a burglar alarm system or those that have a poorly maintained one which has prompted me to write this blog post. I personally feel that a current and well maintained intruder alarm system is a massive deterrent to would be thieves and I would encourage anyone considering installing one to do so – here’s why: